Thursday, January 20, 2011

Living Simply

I was reading through some blogs the other day and I ran accross this quote  from one of our Missionaries, Glen Garrison, that really stuck with me  "We must learn to live more simply so that others may simply live." What a powerful word. We in America are so blessed. We have so much stuff. We have above and beyond what we need to live. In so many places around this world, people do not even have clean water to drink. They have only 1/2 a cup of rice a day, or less.  In a several countries in Africa, parents don't even give their child a name until they reach the age of 5 because such a large percentage of children die in those first few years. When I stopped to think about this statement, I wondered why I was born in America. Was it because God loves me more? Was it because I deserve it? No, God does not love me more and, no I don't deserve to live in luxury any more than an orphan deserves to live in poverty; however, I do believe that God  expects us to share our blessings with those in need. He says in Luke 12:48b "When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required" We in America have been given much. What will we do with what we have been given?

I've decided this year to strive to live more simply. I've never been a person to spend money on designer jeans or purses; I've never been a person who buys name brand shoes and fills my closet with all kinds of shoes, only to wear each pair one time; but I do believe that I can live more simply. One thing I love to do is bargain shop. There is nothing wrong with bargain shopping; however, I often find myself purchasing something just because it's a good deal and not because I really NEED it! I also like to eat out, and I love my Starbucks! There's nothing wrong with eating out or an occasional Starbucks, but it does cost a lot. What could I do with the money I save by taking my lunch most days instead of eating out? I could fund a project with Mission 1:27, maybe even feed one of those orphans which I shared about in my previous post or sponsor another child through Latin American Childcare.  Most of us in America live in extravagance compared to the rest of the world, where millions of people struggle to barely live. What could you do today to live more simply, in order to help someone around the world simply live?

2 comments:

  1. Great points! All things that keep me up at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) thank you, jenna! a great challenge to me as well!

    ReplyDelete