Monday, January 10, 2011

The God Who KNOWS

The last several nights have fallen into a pattern during our nightly bedtime prayers with the kids. Natalie, who is 9 and recently decided she wants a sister,  prays "I pray that we would adopt a girl and she would get here soon." Micah  (who is 6 years old) prays, "I pray for a boy and he would get here faster!" He wants a "twin" brother who is his age, mostly to play legos with him. So tonight, I decided this was a good time to have a little discussion with them about God and prayers. I explained to them that we need to pray that God would send us the right child, boy or girl, who will fit into our family. I explained to them that there are many boys and girls who have no mommy or daddy, and we need to pray that God has one chosen just for our family and He will bring that child to us at the right time.

As I began to speak to my children, I had one of those mommy-moments. You know, when you are sharing something with your child and you realize that what you are saying is something that you, as the mom, needs to hear! And so as I thought and prayed some more about it I realized just how much God knows about my child whom I know nothing about right now.We don't know if it is a boy or girl, if he or she is 4 or 9 or somewhere in between,  but God knows. He knows the child's name, birthday and personality. He knows where the child is right now and He knows the child's deepest hurts and fears.  He knows the child's deepest desires and longings for a family. He knows the child who needs Natalie to be a sister and Micah to be a brother-God has this child chosen to fit into our family. I know it won't always be easy and there will be transition, but God has hand-picked this child for us. He knows his or her every moment, every joy, every tear..his or her's past, present and future and He has good plans for this child. I cannot imagine this adoption process without knowing the GOD who knows my child's name, who heals my child's hurts and answers my child's cry for a family. Thank you, God, for knowing and loving my child in a way that I cannot. Thank you, God, for allowing me to be a vessel of your love to this child. Thank you, God, for knowing what I can and cannot handle and for hand-picking a child for our family. "God places the lonely in families." Psalm 68:6a

1 comment: