Saturday, August 21, 2010

Adoption--The very heart of God

Ever since I was a little girl, I have had an interest in adoption. It started out because I wanted a little sister. I remember begging my parents to adopt a little girl, so I could have a sister.  A few months after I got married, God answered my prayer. My parents adopted not one, but two girls.  God doesn't always answer prayers in our timing!

Throughout my life, God has spoken to me about adopting. I remember going on a missions trip as a teenager. We went to a couple orphanages in Romania. My heart broke as I saw those little babies. The workers were few and worn out. There was no way they could physically take care of all the children in their orphanage. I wanted to take every one of the children home. I had to walk away and leave them there, but God planted a seed in my heart.

Over the past year or so, God has revealed to me how His very heart is reflected through adoption. He says in His word that we are adopted as His sons and daughters. We are grafted into the family of God. I know He is talking about a spiritual adoption, but stop and think about it. What if you had never been adopted into God's family? What if God had never taken you into His family as His very own daughter or son? Where would you be right now?

There are so many children out there who need a family. If they are not adopted, most of them will end up in the streets, begging for food, or as prostitutes, because they have no other way to make a living. Many of them will end up dead before they turn 18. What if you could make a difference in a child's life through adoption? Not only could you save them physically, but you could give them a chance to hear and see the love of God. I have read story after story of how God has asked families to reach out and adopt and how He has changed not only the life of the child, but the life of the entire family and even community. There is one church congregation, I believe it is in Texas, who has adopted over 200 children. What a picture of God's love and grace! I know God has not asked everyone to adopt a child, but I believe there are many Christian families whom God is tugging at your heart. Will you become a reflection of God's love to a child through the wonderful gift of adoption? If God is not asking you to adopt a child, is He asking you to help someone who is? Is He calling you to sponsor a child in need? Is He asking you to go on a missions trip? To provide supplies for an orphanage? God's very heart is for the lonely, abandoned, helpless and lost. What is He asking you to do? Take a step of faith and come closer to the heart of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment